Sunday 7 March 2021

Ogre Mercenaries


Finished these an age ago, at least they're as finished as they're gonna get for now. May revisit a few bits that got missed one day (one trooper's mace I missed the strap on the head, for example). Each of the troopers has a converted head to make them a but more individual. I have a virgin somewhere that I ought to paint up too.

I like the idea of mercenaries in a warband or army. It does seem quite realistic since mercs were of great value historically - which is a minor point in fantasy really - and they give you more tactical options which is fun. Importantly for me it breaks up the look of the force.

I think I'd started these guys, or nearly started them, way back in 2015 when I started this blog. I added the Chaos ogre a few years later when I picked him up at a bring and buy. He's a strange sculpt, with his plate armour. I don't know why I fancied leapoard print for his shoulder guard but it's retro style so why not.

This troop can accompany my Chaos warband and chaotic Dark Elf horde. One of these days, if I ever get them all finished - I have some more elf crossbows to paint, elf knights to figure out, plans for some sort of war altar for the chaos warband and at least a hundred other ideas for both - I'd love to get them all together in an unholy alliance of the Chaotic Powers and lead them across a huge gaming table. One day.

I'm also aware that my phone camera is not really up to scratch, but my little DSLR is all packed away and I can't be bothered to get it out for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment